OMX H264 encoder error with Gstreamer RTSP Server

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Tue Dec 24 05:55:54 PST 2013

On Di, 2013-12-24 at 10:12 +0100, Vincent BENOIT wrote:
> I resolved my problem thanks to another gstreamer encoder error thread :
> http://gstreamer-devel.966125.n4.nabble.com/android-h264-hardware-encoding-td4662522i40.html
> I must specify a video profile and level for my omx encoder in
> gst_rtsp_media_factory_set_launch() function :
>
> gst_rtsp_media_factory_set_launch (factory, "( videotestsrc ! video/x-raw,
> width=320, height=240 ! omxh264enc ! video/x-h264, profile=(string)high,
> level=(string)4 ! rtph264pay name=pay0 pt=96 )");
>
> and it's works.
>
> I think it's a bug in gst_omx_gstomxh264enc.c source file ->
> h264_enc_set_format() function :
>
>  s = gst_caps_get_structure (peercaps, 0);
>  profile_string = gst_structure_get_string (s, "profile");
>  if (profile_string) {
> [...]
>  }
>
> profile_string is equal to "constrained-baseline" and not exactly
> "baseline", so it goes to unsupported_profile goto.

That's unfortunately not a bug. constrained-baseline is a subset of
baseline, not all baseline streams are also constrained-baseline.

OMX has no way of specifying constrained baseline.

> all profiles in standard x264 encoder found in Gstreamer ugly plugins are
> not defined in this omx h264 encoder like "constrained-baseline".

Which other ones are missing? They should be more or less the same
plus/minus a few supported in one but not the other.

Expertise, Straight from the Source