[RPI3] HD Playback is not smooth.

munez bn munezbn.dev at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 18:21:14 UTC 2016

Hi All,

I am using raspberry PI3 and have tried gst-omx 1.20 and 1.9.90.
In both the version HD videos doesn't play smoothly.

I have two videos

1] BigBuckBunny - 720p
2] TearOfSteal - 1080p

First video plays but once in a while it pauses for 2-3 secs .. And i get
messages like system is too slow , too many frames dropped.

Second video doesn't play smooth at all..

In both the cases CPU is always < 15% and IDLE CPU is > 80% ..

I am using buildroot based custom image  which uses gstreamer version 1.8.1
and gst-omx 1.2.0
I updated buidlroot files to use gstreamer version 1.9.90.. But behavior is
still same. :(

Thanks & Regards
Munez