why creates dbus a pid file by default and hald doesn't

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Aug 18 08:43:53 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-18 at 01:30 +0000, Kristof Vansant wrote:
> Why creates dbus a pid file by default and hald doesn't.
> D-bus configure.in and hald look a lot alike but have some differences
> that makes it harder to share configure.in code between the 2 projects.
> I think it would be easier if both projects configure system and
> daemonscripts and spec files looked almost the same.

Well, in hal the pidfile is only used by the haldaemon.in file to
produce a haldaemon file that goes in /etc/init.d. I consider tracking
of pid files to be something the initscripts system should handle
itself. And, also, it's bloody annoying having to remove the pidfile
everytime you kill hald and want to start it again.

David