USB device not removed from HAL when unplugged

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Aug 25 16:50:20 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 21:39 +0200, Jan Mynarik wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've attached (via USB) my Canon PowerShot S50 digital camera (not
> USB-storage) and it is added to device list (see attached output from
> lshal: hal-list.txt). But after unplugging it, it's not removed from
> list and so that no other program using hal can recognize the removal.
> What's the problem?

Beats me, it works for me with the CVS version. Try killing the hal
daemon (pkill hald) and run 'hald --daemon=no' as root and post the
output if it doesn't work. Also try using hal from CVS and run as root

 HALD_VERBOSE=1 hald --daemon=no

and see if that works.

> I'm using hal 0.2.97 from Debian Sid.
>
> I've also created FDI file for my camera (attached). It is based on
> hal's own FDI for Canon IXUS but I wonder why I needed to change 'usb'
> to 'usb_device' for 'info.bus' key. Is there any difference between IXUS
> and PowerShot (both from Canon)? Or is it a new FDI spec and not changed
> examples?

Right, the CVS version is wrong; it should be usb_device. The spec at
http://freedesktop.org/~david/hal-spec/hal-spec.html also needs to
update; I'll look into it.

Btw, I've made a small callout, hal-hotplug-map that reads the
files /etc/hotplug/usb.usermap and /etc/hotplug/usb/libsane.usermap and
automatically tags the device with the proper capabilities for devices
driven by libgphoto2 respectively libsane user space drivers. This is in
CVS under tools/linux.

Cheers,
David