Is fstab-sync in newest cvs broken?

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Aug 26 14:09:24 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 23:00 +0200, Thomas Gufler wrote:
> Ok, here is what I did:
> become su
> stopped hald (/etc/init.d/hald stop)
> ps -A | grep hald (to be sure hald is really not running)

Huh, ps -A doesn't work on my distribution, I normally use ps aux, what
are you running?

> cd /usr/sbin
> HALD_VERBOSE=1 ./hald --daemon=no
> I only get those few lines I've attached to my last mail.

So, you said you were using the CVS version? Would that be hal-cvs from
Gentoo (I'm just guessing)?

In that case please ensure you configure the sources with --enable-
verbose-mode. Or even better, run the code directly from a CVS
checkout :-)

(I'm going to make even non-verbose mode print everything below [W] as
well (if HALD_VERBOSE is set or if run with --verbose) to better handle
bug reports).

> > Did you remember to install the new fstab-sync callout? That would
> > require configuring the source tree with --enable-fstab-sync (think I
> > just put that in). I guess that would be something to look after. I
> Yes, it was compiled with --enable-fstab-sync
> Compiled it a few minutes ago, ls -l /usr/sbin/fstab-sync gives me:
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 21016 26. Aug 22:44 /usr/sbin/fstab-sync
>
> and ls -l /etc/hal/device.d/:
> insgesamt 0
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 20 17. Aug 10:17 fstab-sync -> /usr/sbin/fstab-sync

OK, looks good.

> > always symlink /usr/local/hal/devices.d/50-fstab-sync.hal into fstab-
> > sync into my build tree.
> Sorry, don't understand?
>

> > Thanks,
> > David
>
> Do I need to update dbus too? (dbus-cvs from about 5 days ago)

You need D-BUS 0.22 or higher; CVS from five days ago should be fine,
but then again I don't know what may be in the dbus-cvs package
(assuming you're using Gentoo.)

Thanks,
David