initial support for video devices and printer ports

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Tue Aug 31 15:59:05 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 21:01 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:

> Support for printer ports
>   http://vrfy.org/projects/hal/Legacy_Parallel_Port.png
>   o h-d-m got a new pict for the screenshots :)
>   o changed the classdevice dispatcher to accept "usb|printer" as a filter,
>     cause "printer" class can be both
>   o we need to compute a udi, if we merge into the Computer
>   o if we can't find a printer responding, we set the name to "Parallel Port"
>   o printer_class_device accepts now devices without a sysdevice
>     (coldplug probe needs support for this, now only working on reconnect)

Conversation with myself :)

Any thoughts what we should do with my USB-printer-port-adapter? Even
when no printer is connected, this patch sets the capability and
category to "printer". The same applies to the legacy printer port.

We should set the capability only if we really find a printer, right?

What if I unplug the parallel printer and plug in a parallel scanner?
Then we change the properties of the same udi from one category to
another?

Shouldn't a printer be a subdevice of the "printer_port" and not merged
into it?

Kay