hal 0.4.2 "Something like that. Tastes the same anyway." released

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Dec 2 13:48:36 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-02 at 13:28 -0600, W. Michael Petullo wrote:
> > I just released hal 0.4.2 "Something like that. Tastes the same anyway."
> > that fixes a number of small bugs; Here are the changes in short form
>
> Does this release include the encryption work mentioned on the
> fedora-devel mailing list?  David, you mentioned:

No, not yet, sorry. It will appear in the unstable series when we get
the methods.d going (we need the org.freedesktop.Hal.Volume.Crypt
interface with the method SetPassphrase() - ideally g-v-m will popup a
dialog asking for the passphrase and use that method).

> > So, basically my "solution" involves hal detecting the fact it's a an
> > encrypted filesystem (by looking at said metadata) and then having a hal
> > callout setup the cleartext device by invoking dmsetup. dmsetup creates
> > the /dev/mapper/halcrypt-sda1 (because that's the name I use from the
> > hal callout) and then hald gets /dev/dm-0 from udev.
>
> > I then look through /dev/mapper/* searching for the same major/minor and
> > eventually I find /dev/mapper/halcrypt-sda1 (this is a bit racy; btw,
> > dmsetup should NOT create it own device nodes; that is just wrong IMHO).
> > I then know that it stems from /dev/sda1 and I can add a hal device
> > object of cap. 'volume' with the same parent. Then everything follows
> > with fstab-sync and g-v-m.
>
> I'm still very anxious to help with this.

I will try to see if I can find some time to commit what I've already
done for this.

Sorry again for the lag, I've been busy with this release and some other
Red Hat work, so that's why.

Cheers,
David