cd-rom drive with data media not showing the volume

leon breedt bitserf at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 13:57:45 PST 2004

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 10:50:26 -0500, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:
> If we don't poll the drive, e.g. storage.media_check_enabled is set to
> FALSE, we only add volumes when something is mounted for the drive. That
> is on purpose.
media_check_enabled is set to FALSE for these devices on the
non-working machine, however, /etc/hal/hald.conf has a default value
of TRUE, and i can't find a .fdi policy that sets it to FALSE, so I'm
not sure how this value gets set.

Just to be sure, I removed
/usr/share/hal/fdi/20freedesktop/ide-drives.fdi, but the same symptoms
occurred.

I also started up hald in verbose mode, and first thought I found the
problem when I saw these messages:

10:54:45.451 [I] linux/block_class_device.c:1385: Bus type is ide!
10:54:45.451 [I] linux/block_class_device.c:1409: Working around
broken ide-cs driver for /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_1_1
10:54:45.464 [I] linux/block_class_device.c:339: profile -1

For both CD-ROM drives. However, I get these messages on the working
machine as well.

I've attached lshal output for the machine where the value is
unexpectedly FALSE (machine1), and where its TRUE, as expected
(machine2).

hald.conf is identical on both machines, as is all other configuration
that I can ascertain.

Regards
Leon