cd-rom drive with data media not showing the volume

leon breedt bitserf at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 16:19:42 PST 2004

for the record, neglected to include mailing list in Cc.

sorry if it appears i'm spamming the list today...just running through
the list of issue's that have cropped up for me so far.

---<snip>----

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 17:41:18 -0500, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:
> OK, your IDE channels appears to be on these sysfs paths
>
>  /sys/devices/ide0
>  /sys/devices/ide1
>
> which is strange; normally it would appear as a child of a PCI device,
> e.g. on your second box it is at
>
>  /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.1/ide0
>  /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.1/ide1
>
> and this is what triggers what is apparently a bug in hal.
I don't know if it matters to sysfs, but this particular motherboard
has an extra Promise IDE/RAID controller in addition to the ICH5-R
IDE/RAID, and both have PATA and SATA connectors. I'm pretty sure the
Promise controller is disabled in the BIOS at the moment, and that I'm
only using the ICH5-R, but I'll have to confirm when I have physical
access to the box again.

http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=P4C800-E%20Deluxe&langs=01

> Please try the attached patch (against the hal 0.4.x branch in CVS;
> should apply to 0.4.2 as well) to see if that makes it better?
This does seem to fix it, an lshal now shows the volume below the
storage, without it being mounted.

Thanks a lot!
Leon