hal (or g-v-m) issues ?

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Tue Dec 7 08:38:29 PST 2004

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 03:06:47PM -0800, Igor Pruchanskiy wrote:
> after a recent upgrade (about a week or so ago)
> both of my desktops stopped recognizing my digital
> camera and ipod.
>
> Well, devices show up in h-d-m and i can see everything in
> /var/log/messages, but removable devices do not show up in
> "Computer" anymore.

You need to be in the plugdev group now, so you are allowed to mount removable
devices without an fstab entry.

> Also my camera used to work in normal USB mode, where it would
> just show up as a removable drive or in PTP mode, where i would be
> able to import photos using gThumb. Now, when i connect the camera
> g-v-m gives me a message saying that camera is connected and asks me
> if i want to import photos. If i hit Import it tells me that the camera
> is not
> detected anylonger....

Check if gphoto2 --auto-detect shows the camera.  I guess g-v-m is doing the
right thing, but it can't know beforehand if gthumb will find it...

> hal 0.4.2-1
> g-v-m 1.1.2-4
> on Sid/Eperimental
> linux-2.6.9 (and 2.6.8.1)

It would probably be better if you put bugs into the debian BTS. Most people on
the mailinglist won't know what changed in debian last week anyway.

  Sjoerd
--
A man said to the Universe:
	"Sir, I exist!"
	"However," replied the Universe,
	"the fact has not created in me a sense of obligation."
		-- Stephen Crane