HAL and PPP interfaces

Andrei Yurkevich urruru at ru.ru
Wed Dec 8 10:16:10 PST 2004

Kay Sievers wrote:

> On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 12:50 -0500, Joe Shaw wrote:

>>>Is it possible to know about appearance/removal of PPP interfaces with
>>>HAL? Since hotplug notifies about these interfaces being brought
>>>up/down, HAL could listen to that and provide the information about
>>>them. If that is not implemented (yet), would anybody be interested if I
>>>try to add support for monitoring PPP interfaces with HAL?
>>
>>I haven't used PPP in a while, so I'm not sure how it works at the
>>system level, but I think it makes a lot of sense to merge these
>>properties onto the modem device, similar to how the normal ethernet and
>>wireless properties are merged onto the network card device.
>
> Most uses today are PPPoE, PPPoA (over Ethernet, ATM) I expect, which
> may fit better into NetworkManager. I'm not sure if HAL really should
> support devices without physical representation.
> It seems a bit slippery, just like firewall, VPN, bridging interfaces...

Well, what I need PPP support in HAL for is monitoring a Pocket PC
device which *is* hardware connected to a computer, but unlike anything
else it uses PPP over USB-serial to communicate with desktop. And I
suspect that there could be some other weird hardware that may use PPP
to connect to a PC.

Anyway, what I'd like have in HAL is a virtual device created under a
USB/serial/ethernet/whatever device node representing the PPP interface.
  In the case that is most interesting to me that would be a PPP
interface node under a USB-serial device representing my Pocket PC. A
HAL callout could then go off and create yet another virtual device
under that PPP interface that represents the PDA itself - in that case I
would know that a Pocket PC device is available in the system and know
what interface to use to work with it.

cheers,
Andrei