HAL and PPP interfaces

Joe Shaw joeshaw at novell.com
Wed Dec 8 14:21:52 PST 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 15:16 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 22:22 +0300, Andrei Yurkevich wrote:
> > Ok, you almost convinced me, but that would be not the PDA but a device
> > in a PC - either a serial port or a bluetooth/usb/whatever device. See,
>
> I still don't think this is a HAL problem, since the PDA isn't a device
> actually connected to the computer.  At least with USB we can see that
> there is some device on the other end, and hopefully with serial devices
> there's a way to figure out whats there too.

I don't understand.  Why/how is the PDA not actually connected to the
computer?

> The actual management of the PPP connection still seems like something
> HAL should _not_ be doing.  PPP is _not_ a hardware device, and so it
> shouldn't be showing up in HAL.

I don't think that HAL should be bringing the interface up or down, but
I don't see how it's really any different than ethernet or wireless
properties.  The interfaces themselves are fairly nebulous but they
attach to a specific hardware device.

> I'm not sure how far David thinks we should go with random user
> applications setting device attributes/properties on a whim either.

In general I would prefer we not do this as well.

Joe