PDAs in HAL (Was: Plans for hal 0.5.x)

Andrei Yurkevich urruru at ru.ru
Thu Dec 16 09:09:27 PST 2004

David Zeuthen wrote:

>>I am absolutely agreed with you about having a PDA device as a child
>>node of the serial interface, but still I think that creating that node
>>and filling it with pda-specific information should be done outside of
>>hal.
 >
> Again, the program doing this should run in the desktop session anyway
> and already knows, so it needs not to tell hal about it.
>
>>In some cases, the fact that the serial port is there does not
>>necessarily mean that PDA is available. For instance, when you plug in a
>>Pocket PC PDA via USB, you will get a USB device and a USB-serial
>>interface, but until you start the software that establishes a
>>connection with your PDA you are not able to do anything useful with it.
>
> No, but the fact that desktop software knows that there is a 100% chance
> of the serial port having a PDA in the other end allows it to start
> doing things with it. Like initiating a sync.
>
> That's why I only think it's useful to consider plug and play devices.

Just to sum up the discussion, is this ok for PDAs representation in HAL?:

1) Only USB-connected PDAs should appear in HAL device list, not those
connected via serial/Ir/Bluetooth;

2) All the PDA-specific properties are merged in the device node of the
USB device that represents the PDA in the system, no child device node
for PDA should be created

comments, objections?

cheers,
Andrei