FDI generation in the hal-device-manager

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sun Jul 4 10:12:06 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 18:43 +0100, Jono Bacon wrote:
> David,

Hi,

> Just tell me if I am being a lunatic here (!),

If you are, well, we all are :-)

>  but it seems logical to
> allow FDI files to be generated by the hal-device-manager. Would it be
> feasable to allow the Advanced tab to let users add details about the
> hardware they have and fill in the missing blanks, then click on a
> button and have an FDI file generated?
>

>From what I can tell, the general feeling is that this is a good idea,
but as hal-device-manager is just a more or less crappy development tool
(I know, cause I wrote it :-) it's more appropriate to add this to a
"real" device manager - I've talked a bit about that in my GUADEC
presentation available here

 http://freedesktop.org/~david/HAL-GUADEC2004.sxi

I hope to post something to the Utopia list about this planned gnome-
device-manager within a few weeks.

One thing, though, that we'll need is a more flexible .fdi file format
since I suppose the generated .fdi files want to switch on kernel
version etc. So, when submitting a .fdi file upstream to the central
hardware database (though e.g. a button from gnome-device-manager) I
envision that the submitted .fdi file being merged into a greater .fdi
file, most probably by a human being.

Cheers,
David