Can't burn CD when hald is running

Silas De Munck s.dem at belgacom.net
Sun Jul 4 14:10:25 PDT 2004

On Sunday 04 July 2004 20:27, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 20:06 +0200, Silas De Munck wrote:
> > >  o  Try this commandline
> > >
> > >        hal-set-property --udi /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/block_22_0
> > > --key storage.media_check_enabled --bool false
> > >
> > >     with the proper UDI for your CD burner of course. This will
> > >     disable media checking, which I think is what may be causing the
> > >     problem.
> >
> > It solved the problem, writing goes fine now.
>
> Hmm, ok, strange, we basically only do a
>
>     fd = open (device_file, O_RDONLY | O_NONBLOCK);
>     drive = ioctl (fd, CDROM_DRIVE_STATUS, CDSL_CURRENT);
>
> with device_file being e.g. /dev/hdc and this is what is causing burning
> to fail.
>
> Is magicdev running while burning works? Can you try to run magicdev
> while burning?

I can't get Magicdev running at all.
When I started X (or KDE, mouse was still working) locked up.
Maybe the lockup is caused by running it from KDE... or because gnome is not
installed...

> > Can I make this permanent by writing a fdi-file for it?
> > Maybe it should be "false" by default, because both my scsi-burners have
> > this problem. Is it possible to change the storage.media_check_enabled to
> > false only while burning?
>
> The grand plan involves exporting a generic (advisory) Lock() method on
> every HalDevice - so, the CD burner should grab the lock on the device
> while burning and HAL will respect this and not poll, e.g. effectively
> having storage.media_check_enabled set to FALSE.
>
> Implementing this requires some changes in D-BUS, e.g. we need to cover
> situations where an application holding a lock crashes - hald needs to
> take the lock back and possibly give it to other applications.

I asked because when the media_check is set to false, automounting with ivman
does not work. But I can burn cd's again when hald is running so problem
solved for me.