Auto-mounting of USB drives

Lee Willis lee at leewillis.co.uk
Wed Jul 7 12:50:40 PDT 2004

I've scanned the archives, and googled to death but haven't managed to
find an answer to my query - if there's something that will answer these
then a pointer would be great.

I have a USB drive (A sandisk 128MB Cruzer Mini USB 2.0 Flash Drive -
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=799599998&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=59365)
and my understanding would be that hal & friends could enable me to get
this automatically mounted when inserted, however try as I might I can't
quite get it working. It seems to be recognized and made available as
/dev/sda1, and I can manually mount it, but I can't get it to
auto-mount.

I've copied fstab-update.sh into the right place, and I've added debug
which suggests that this is indeed called, but hal doesn't seem to set
up the right environment args for this to work. I've also tried creating
an .fdi file in case that was required, but I still didn't get anywhere.

I've uploaded the output from --daemon=no (With my modifications, all
flagged LW) to http://www.lwillis.plus.com/output.txt if that's any use.

Any clues?

Thanks
Lee