fstab-sync

Anthony Metcalf anthony.metcalf at anferny.ath.cx
Fri Jul 16 01:11:18 PDT 2004

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 17:14:20 -0400
Ray Strode <rstrode at redhat.com> wrote:

> I currently look at the type of disc in the drive for determining mount
> point.  The idea being that the mount point will be /media/dvd when a
> dvd is put in the drive and /media/cd_rw when a cd-rw is put in the drive.
> The advantage of doing this is in the case of combo drives, the mount point
> will reflect role the drive is currently assuming.

FWIW I have a couple of drives, a dvd and a cd-rw, it would be quite confuing to put a cd in the dvd drive and have it show up as in a cd drive! Add to that people with multiple cd/cdr/cd-rw/dvd/dvd-r drives, if the mount point changes depending on the disk type how do you know which drive to eject 3 days later?

The final case is my old (broken?) cd-r drive, that cannot read disks it burnt half the time. Any other drive will read them fine, but not itself, hence cd-r disks get stuck anywhere *but* the cd-r drive unless being written to. That could get confusing