Hal activation

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Jul 22 12:07:52 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 15:05 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 14:53 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 14:37 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> > > Not sure if this has been discuss but every time dbus is restarted Hal
> > > dies.  Perhaps hal should use dbus activation whenever someone tries to
> > > access a hal service and it is not running.
> >
> > HAL needs to run as root (or a dedicated hal user eventually), and dbus
> > can only activate services as the dbus user, so I think activation is
> > out.  How do other dbussy things deal with this?
>
> Hmm, yes.  I hadn't thought about that.  Since hal is the biggest
> consumer of DBus at this moment I think it needs to answer the question.
> Perhaps not crashing if the dbus connection goes down but instead trying
> to reconnect indefinitely or at least a decent amount of time before it
> dies.  Is this possible?

If think D-BUS says when the org.freedesktop.DBus service goes away like
any other service on the bbus; we can check for this, then gracefully
shut down and then attempt to reconnect. But we have to start all over
again.

However, I want to restructure the code a bit (essentially remove all
globals to begin with ;-), so it's possible to start/stop the Hal daemon
and even have multiple instances (a test backend for instance) bound to
different services names, all at the same time. Then this should be
trivial to add.

But first I need to finish the spec :-)

Cheers,
David