Goals for 0.3.0

Joe Shaw joeshaw at novell.com
Thu Jul 22 12:55:23 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 21:25 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> There were some discussion about this some time ago and I proposed that
> in the worst case you can always use the parents udi appended with
> something otherwise unique or at least something that doesn't clash with
> your siblings. By induction this provides unique UDI's [1].
>
> Specifically for drives you can use partition numbers in lack of UUID or
> label. Maybe even an MD5 of the first couple of sectors or something.

Yeah, but how do we make them unique across invocations of HAL such that
things can reliable depend on them?

> > Similar topic:
> > Should the network-adapter udi's should use the MAC address instead of
> > the device id's?
>
> Yeah, that's an excellent idea.

The ones without parents (ie, directly under Computer) already do this.
Check out the compute_udi function in net_class_device.c  I'm not sure
there's much reason to otherwise, since it tends to use the UDI from the
PCI device.

> > Don't know if can hurt something else. Can't we use 64bit all over the
> > place?
>
> For now we can, the path is hald/linux/volume_id.[ch] :-). We can always
> change that back; in fact we prolly want to move it to hald/commmon/
> some day :-)

Seems safe to me.  There are "gint64" and "guint64" types in glib which
make dealing with portable 64-bit types rather painless.

Joe