Policy, defaults and broken hardware

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Jun 1 15:05:35 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 23:43, Joe Shaw wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, why would automounting not work?  (ie, can you
> give some examples?)

No concrete examples, sorry; my best example is a bit far out and
includes that automounting would lock the media or otherwise wear it
out. I included this mostly for completeness; may be bogus, I can remove
it if so desired. Either way, it's just a hint.

But I know that media detection borks one PCMCIA driver (partitions
keeps hotplugging in and out; that's what happen with my 16-bit PCMCIA
compact flash reader (that presently doesn't work with HAL due to the
lack of PCMCIA sysfs files, but I suspect we might put it in the "City
of Lost Device" you introduced last week :-).

Cheers,
David