[patch] remove wireless support

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Jun 1 15:36:36 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 23:26, Robert Love wrote:
> So if we are not going to allow writable properties, the wireless stuff
> does not make sense, because we end up with the "apps use HAL to read
> the properties and iwlib to write them" mess, which is just plain silly.
>
> So the logical conclusion is to remove wireless support from HAL.
> Applications and libraries should use HAL for device discovery and basic
> information and iwlib for device manipulation.  Ideally, someday, iwlib
> could be HALified.
>
> Joe has (reluctantly) agreed.

Heh, you guys are good at convincing each other :-)

> I am not sure if he can bring himself to
> remove the code, so here I go (myself being less attached in the
> paternal sense).  The wireless stuff was really nice, but it just does
> not make sense in the New World Order.

I'm a bit reluctant to remove this. But I'm not adamant about it.

Maybe it's because I think wireless networking relates wired networking
like the set of available access points to whether the wire is plugged
in. Second, it's not at all clear to me that just because you read
something, you also want to write. Third, this gives a nice way of
having OS-level reaction (by callouts) to changes in the set of
available access points (though that should probably happen at the
desktop session level anyway). Fourth, it centralizes scanning for
wireless networks. Fifth, it seems like a convenient feature to have.

Don't know. Anyone else?

Cheers,
David

p.s. : I'm traveling the next few days with little access to email so if
I'm late responding, that's why.