.fdi files and HAL

Jono Bacon jono at jonobacon.org
Sun Jun 6 17:44:51 PDT 2004

Hi all,

I am really intrigued by the concept of .fdi files and how a
collaborative network of contributors could allow .fdi files to be
created for a vast range of devices. I am still quite new to HAL, and I
read through the specification properly tonight, but I have a few
questions I hope you can answer.

 - Is it preferable to have an .fdi file for *every* device. I know that
the spec says that many devices can be determined from device
information, but is an .fdi better for overriding that information and
providing concrete information on the device?

 - Is the plan to be able to download .fdi files on the fly from the
net? I saw the Fedora Hardware Project which seems to be a non-starter
from my initial googling.

 - What is the best method of creating .fdi files? I don't mean how to
write XML, I mean, how do I find the most detailed information to write
the key-value pairs for the .fdi files?

Cheers,

    Jono