.fdi files and HAL

Owen Fraser-Green owen at discobabe.net
Tue Jun 8 02:03:50 PDT 2004

Hi,

On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 08:37, Ikke wrote:
> But then you make Hal bound to X and stuff alike... which is something I
> really like now because it's not (I'm mostly a console user). I don't think
> there should be *any* GUI stuff in hal itself. One could work with some
> daemon, and hal sending DBUS messages when an unknown device is connected.

I definitely don't think any of this whole concept should be bound into
HAL itself at all. I think the picture involves the following separate
parties:

1) HAL - which does what it does today - i.e. emit signals whenever
something is plugged in (known or unknown).

2) Some central repository for .fdi files (or maybe even more
information but which can at least return .fdi files).

3) A distribution package containing .fdi files. These could be obtained
from the .fdi repository. The distribution could chose to package a
snapshot of the entire repository or just a small portion of it.
Specialized distributions could chose just those that were appropriate.
Small footprint distributions could chose just the most popular 10%
based on download statistics available from the repository.

4) A desktop-specific utility e.g. gnome-hardware-druid which listens to
HAL's signals and is responsible for the use case I described in my
previous mail.

Cheers,
Owen