[bug] Hal does not know anything about my floppy drive

Robert Love rml at ximian.com
Fri Jun 18 11:14:18 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 13:52 -0400, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

> I was just assuming that floppy was not showing because we only show
> mounted partitions but even after mounting my floppy drive it does not
> show up.  A quick glance at hal-device-manager shows that it does not
> have an entry for the fd0 device.  I am running the latest from CVS.

Intentional, in the sense that the floppy drive is legacy hardware and
not exported as a sysfs device on a bus.

The block I/O layer in the kernel, however, does export a /sys/block
entry so I suppose it could be done in a hack 'ala Joe's 'City of Lost
Devices'.  Might make sense to do this because block device support
(even for crap like floppy drives) is pretty important.

	Robert Love