best way to determine devices with drivers

andrew luecke auzy1 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 14 02:00:05 PDT 2004

Hey all. currently I'm working on a driver install system for linux, which
I'm hoping may one day help complement other linux usability projects, that
automatically finds drivers on the internet for devices that dont already
have them installed.

My problem is that to use HAL, I need a way of determining if a device
already has a driver installed and is active (so I can tell if I need to
install one). I have noticed under 0.2.92 that  there is a namespace I can
use called "linux.driver".. However, I noticed when I ran lshal on my
devices that not even one of them had linux.driver listed.. So, does anyone
know if this is the best way, or is there a better way (I noticed that HAL
device manager listed my USB camera with no driver as an unknown device).

Any idea if its just because nothing is using the linux.driver flag yet,
lshal isn't listing it, or/and any better methods of determining if the
driver is working (info.not_available maybe??)

Thanks

Andrew Luecke
http://driverondemand.sourceforge.net