best way to determine devices with drivers

Jono Bacon jono at jonobacon.org
Thu Jun 24 02:38:28 PDT 2004

Andrew Luecke wrote:
> Actually, turns out i was worried about nothing.. phew. for a very
> short time i was starting to think that some software, like digital
> cameras didn't use a kernel module.. luckily, i'm wrong. I found out
> stuff like digital cameras use the Mass storage module in the kernel,
> so, luckily, it will work like I want it to (when the linux.driver
> works again) ;)

All digital camera's pretty much use USB mass storage. The challenge is
distinguishing that a device is a camera as opposed to a Nokia phone
with an MP3 player, as opposed to a card reader, as opposed to a PDA.
These different devices need to appear in GNOME with an icon that
indicates the type of device - just displaying a hard drive icon will be
confusing because the user will not see the device as a storage device
and instead as a gadget.

> By the way, has anyone here thought of extending HAL to work over
> network, like recording the networked devices.. It's always handy to
> know what capabilities your toaster has when you plug it into the
> network ;)

This would be incredible. Imagine if you could access a digital camera
plugged into a Windows box across the network. I imigine this is nigh on
  impossible though. It would be incredibly cool to see other devices
attached to other machines on your desktop and access them though. This
would also be really handy for things such as wireless access points,
printers etc. How viable is this?

	Jono

--
Jono Bacon - http://www.jonobacon.org/
Writer / Journalist / Consultant / Developer