persistent device storage

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon May 10 06:46:00 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 01:49:56PM +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> > Should the files be human readable? Currently we support int32, bool,
> > double, string and in the future I envision it might be useful to also
> > support int64 and blob.
>
> Something like this?
>
>   string:Camera
>   u32   :545324423423
>   bool  :0
>   double:-21321.3123213334

Yeah this sounds useful.

> > Also note that hal already has a concept of a persistent device; that's
> > when info.persistent==TRUE and it means that the HalDevice object will
> > not go away once the device is removed. This is useful for when storing
> > properties on devices, e.g. Konqueror or Nautilus window position or
> > basically anything - it can also be used to have a "recent devices
> > plugged in" list. Policy-pieces in KDE or GNOME can set this property -
> > hal only reads it.
>
> What about persistence attributes for every property instead of the
> whole device. Is it too much? I don't have the whole picture.
> There may also be a attribute to prevent Robert's property changed
> callout :)

We can do this - there's a whole class called HalProperty, IIRC.

> > On the topic of attributes for properties, maybe it would be useful to
> > have owners/permissions? I thought about just having all properties read
> > only for non-root and having the name space user.* be special in the
> > sense it is per-user and writable. Maybe this is the easiest to do; I
> > mean it's probably not useful to read other users properties?
>
> Owners/permissions can be the unix file permissions?

Yes - it doesn't solve the per-user property. Maybe per-user should be
an attribute on HalProperty as well. we can then append -$USER to the
filename (and not allow '-' in the name of the property). DBUS should be
able to give us the username for the connection.

> What about putting the TODO on the Wiki?
> I can try to summarize the things about the persistent store and create
> a page on the Wiki. What do you think?

Sounds like a good idea!

On another note, maybe it would be useful to put this code on a separate
branch in CVS - it will also make it a lot easier for you since you can
just commit whenever you feel like it. Another reason is that I want to
release 0.3.0 real soon now; one of the few remaining things I need to do
before that is basically only to update the spec document.

Thanks,
David