[patch] Allow devices with no sysdevices

Joe Shaw joeshaw at novell.com
Tue May 25 11:26:00 PDT 2004

Hi,

On Tue, 2004-05-25 at 19:47 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Hmm, I'm a bit reluctant to do this, I'd rather see the PCMCIA 16-bit
> drivers publish their information in sysfs under /sys/devices. That will
> also solve a lot of other problems like making the PCMCIA CF card reader
> I bought usable with HAL. Oh well :-)

Me too, but from talking it over with Robert it seems like this simply
won't happen until 2.7 at the earliest.

> OTOH, this seems like a very usable thing though I'd like one fakeroot
> device per class device instance this applies to since I may have more
> than one 16-bit PCMCIA networking devices. It would also be nice to
> enclose the code for doing this in #ifdef/#endif pairs so we can disable
> it at compile time.

We should be able to use the same fakeroot for all devices, not just
PCMCIA networking devices (and not just one instance).  As the fakeroot
device has no useful information itself, I'm not sure it makes sense to
have more than one?  Maybe I am missing something.

> > +       hal_device_property_set_string (fakeroot, "info.product",
> > +                                       "City of Lost Devices");
>
> Heh, that's funny :-)

:)