[patch] wireless network support

Owen Fraser-Green owen at discobabe.net
Wed May 26 02:28:52 PDT 2004

Hi,

> Yay, I think this is quite nice. One could wonder whether this is
> stretching what the HAL should do; my take on that is that it makes
> good sense to do this; I mean, it's the same thing we do for wired
> networks with the property net.ethernet.link. I'm curious what other
> people think?

IMHO it's a very good thing.

> My only concern is that might cause a storm of D-BUS signal emissions
> and callouts; Kay talked about adding attributes to properties so
> perhaps one day we could say something like
>
>  hal_property_set_attribute (d, "net.wireless.network0.noise",
>                              HAL_PROP_ATTR_NO_CALLOUT|
>                              HAL_PROP_ATTR_NO_MASS_EMISSION);

I've thinking for a while that something like this will be necessary for
some properties as there will inevitably be more such "continuous"
properties. An alternative solution would be to make them more discrete
by deciding only to send the value every few seconds for example but I
don't think this would be very satisfactory.

For quite a few of the continuous property use cases it would probably
be nice, from the client's point of view, to only receive a signal when
the value passes a certain threshold. The WLAN monitor applet could warn
when the signal strength is too low, another applet could warn when disk
space was too low (the property I was thinking of that got me started
thinking about this subject) etc. But I don't really know how best to
solve it...

Cheers,
Owen