[patch] wireless patch, take 2

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed May 26 14:27:42 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 23:30 +0200, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> David Zeuthen wrote:
> > On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 22:24 +0200, Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> >
> >>Why should you be able to set the ESSID through HAL?  I thought the
> >>primary purpose of HAL was discovery, device specific control happens
> >>through direct access to the device file or similar out-of-band mechanism.
> >
> > That is indeed the primary purpose - adding this would be a simple
> > convenience for desktop session clients as Joe and Pat points out. I
> > imagine that it might be convenient, at some point, to add an interface
> > such that (trusted) desktop clients can disable power to certain devices
> > based on the users preferences / policy etc.
>
> OK, good, I was mainly trying to figure out the scope of HAL, not so
> much arguing against Joe's patch.
>
> However, if you change the ESSID you connect to a different network and
> you may need to change the encryption settings, get a new ip address,
> gateway, dns, etc. so it's not just enough to just set the ESSID.  At
> that point it seems out of scope for HAL...

Yeah, you're absolute right.

Here is an idea; maybe HAL shouldn't provide that API I was talking
about and we should do it like Joe suggest by just changing
net.ethernet.80211.ess_id but HAL should do nothing.

Instead a callout in property.d just does all the heavy lifting like
changing the ESS ID, reconfiguring the interface and stuff? Joe, maybe
this was what you meant in the first place?

Cheers,
David