[patch] wireless patch, take 2

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu May 27 13:26:24 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 16:15 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 21:44 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > > Now I am suggesting that HAL actually have side effects to certain
> > > properties and go out and set them on _its own_.
> > >
> > > E.g., I do a hal_device_set_property() on a device's ESSID and then HAL
> > > goes out and tries to change the ESSID.  The property is changed iff HAL
> > > changes the property physically.
>
> Presumably hal_device_set_property() would return an error if setting
> the ESSID failed for some reason.  But at least it would be done in HAL
> and not a callout.

Ok, let's try to work out the usecase of wireless networks then. Maybe
we should have a property called

 net.ethernet.80211.selected_network

representing which one of .network0, .network1, ... we are connected to.
This one we could just write to. I mean, should you be allowed to select
a network that isn't in the list?

To set the WEP key I suppose we would just write to the property
net.ethernet.80211.key. Should we allow the user to read this property
to sniff the key? How do we represent whether the key works or not? A
simple boolean property?

Cheers,
David