Unmounting and 'eject' press

Pat Suwalski pat at suwalski.net
Mon May 31 07:11:07 PDT 2004

David Zeuthen wrote:
> Yeah, it's probably more reliable than assuming the drive is MMC-2
> compliant and I suppose this would also work on hotpluggable stuff like
> USB drives and it would once and for all solve the 'user yanks out
> device' problem (well, unless the drive is active, but then it's her own
> fault).

The compatibility issue can also be destructive. You may recall that a
year or two ago, Mandrake was causing a certain model of LG CD drive to
basically wipe its firmware. It was caused by a sequence the automounter
sent to the unit.

But onw way or another, it's a hack. It doesn't make sense for HAL to
depend on automount, volumagic, etc.

--Pat