Unmounting and 'eject' press

Ikke eikke at eikke.com
Mon May 31 02:29:47 PDT 2004

> The automounter we use in Xandros seems to 'cheat' a little, with a more
> or less virtual mount. It's almost as though it mounts on demand, polls
> if the drive is in use, and if it's not, unmounts it. That's how correct
> eject button behaviour seems to be achieved.

There's a technique called 'lazy unmounting' (umount -l) which does about
the same thing, if I'm not mistaken.

>  From what I know of CD drives, I thought that once the kernel locks the
> tray, it has to unlock it. It's not up the the actual CD drive unit.

True. AFAIK, kernel locks it, and unless the kernel unlocks it too, it won't
be
opened. In Linux it seems to be possible tough to tell the kernel not to
lock the tray. But IMHO that's quite useless.

Greetings, Ikke