Fwd: Configuration questions (fstab and pamconsole)

Mitch Mitch at 0Bits.COM
Sun Nov 7 12:03:19 PST 2004

Using David's explanation in

	http://freedesktop.org/pipermail/hal/2004-October/001149.html

i came up with this file in my 95userpolicy directory which works
perfectly for me without any pamconsole patches needed. I'm not
concerned with the extra security that pamconsole brings.

Hope it's useful.

Cheers
Mitch
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Configuration questions (fstab and pamconsole)
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 15:13:34 +0100
From: Tor Krill <hal at krill.nu>
To: hal at freedesktop.org

Hi all,

I could not find any other forum to ask this question.

I'm trying to get HAL and Gnome-Volume-Manager working on my system. The
distribution im running is arch, http://archlinux.org

However, i'm having trouble to get removable storage working. I think
this is because Arch linux uses unmodified packages.

My problem is this.

UDEV and HAL seems to be working just fine. When i add a new device UDEV
picks it up and creates the device files. HAL gets notified and updated.

fstab-sync kicks in and modifies my fstab and creates directories.
(Beautiful, i really think this has all the potential and definetly is
on the right track to make the free desktop more accessible :-) )

But, the fstab line includes an option about pamconsole. Neither PAM or
util-linux for arch supports this. There seems to be no support for this
in the "clean" packages either. The only traces i have seen for
pamconsole is in patches applied to these packages by for instance
Redhat.

My question then is. Can i somehow modify the configuration to make this
work on my system?

I have seen the storage-policy.fdi in the 90defaultpolicy directory and
the pamconsole option. But reading the documentation i get the
impression that i shold not alter this file, but rather add my own in
the 95userpolicy directory?

So, what should i add in a storage-policy.fdi file put into the
95userpolicy directory? And also do any of you know if the pamconsole
patches will be merged upstreams?

Regards,

/Tor