Compiling Hal from CVS with 2.6.9 kernel

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Nov 12 09:09:32 PST 2004

Hi,

sorry for the lag,

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 11:37 -0500, Dean Jones wrote:
> Ok, so I read on this list that someone with the 2.6.7 kernel was having
> the same issue I was having with compiling HAL with the 2.6.7 kernel
> (Which is why I went to 2.6.9).  However, after reading that, I saw he
> had success with compiling with the 2.6.8.1 kernel.  So, I went to the
> 2.6.8.1 kernel.  It STILL won't compile!  Looking at that header file,
> it seems to be another issue with __user because the symbol before the *
> on line 436 of videodev2.h is __user.  I've put the output from the
> compile below.  Can somebody please help me out here?  I need the latest
> version of HAL due to getting a laptop with an Intel 2200 Wifi card...
> If I can't get this thing working, I'm going to have to ditch Gnome
> (which depends heavily on Hal)

This is simply not true; while GNOME has a few _optional_ dependencies
on hal to do cool stuff, there is no hard dependency at all. And there
will never be such hard dependencies.

> and move to KDE or something...
> Which I
> really hate.  However, I need my Wifi to work more than I need Gnome...
> :-)  Spending almost 24 hours on getting HAL to compile is getting
> really frustrating at the least.

It would help if you stated what distribution you are using.

FYI there are hal packages for a number distros out there including
Fedora, Gentoo, Debian, Ubuntu. I would advise you to use them since
they both handle the dependencies for you and install with a
policy/configuration etc. that matches the rest of that distribution.

The bug you are experiencing seems to indicate that we are missing a few
header checks in the configure.in file. FWIW, my policy is that's what
in CVS should always cleanly compile and work otherwise please shout.

Cheers,
David