unplugging devices safely?

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Fri Nov 12 20:45:27 PST 2004

Hi,

What you need to do is unmount the volumes, if there are file handles
(write ones, read ones don't matter as much i think) then it won't
unmount the filesystem,hence the modules won't unload and it'l think its
still there (and thats all bad)

So always unmount your volumes and wait for it to finish syncing then
pull it out and itl be fine.

Cheers,
Trent
Bur.st

On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 06:20:18PM -0700, lou_g at softhome.net wrote:
> Ok, so i was playing around with my ipod and HAL, when it comes to
> unplugging i just usually unplug (even when do not disconnect is flashing)
> as long as there is no disk activity (indicated by an icon on ipod screen).
> so i plugged it in, hotplug saw it, loaded modulespassed it to hal and hal
> opened nautillus (via gvm) (or however it works).
> I then unplugged it (as described above) and checked th eloaded modules,
> they still listed the firewire modules used for the ipod (i assuemd they'd
> get unloaded when the kernel noticed it had disappeared).
> then i did "lshal | grep info.product to get  anice list of all my hardware
> HAL see's and noticed the ipod was still in the list (even though it was
> not pluggged).
>
> So my question is, is there a specific way to safely remove hardware so
> everything know's it's gone, if not, is there a planned system?
>
> Other misc info
> Kernel 2.6.9
> HAL 0.4.1
> D-BUS 0.22