hald not establishing a connection to dbus?

fuxxy at coldfire.myftp.org fuxxy at coldfire.myftp.org
Fri Nov 19 07:28:23 PST 2004

Hello, everyone, I'm trying to get my system to automatically mount my
cd-rom drive whenever a disc is inserted.

This is a headless system running Gentoo Linux, with no GUI at all.

These are the packages I've installed
gentoo-dev-sources kernel 2.6.9
udev-045
dbus-0.22-r1 and later 0.22-r2
hal-0.2.98-r1 and later 0.4.1
ivman-0.3

I have udev installed with devfs completely disabled
The dbus and hald init scripts both start without any errors, but upon
running 'dbus-monitor --system' and ejecting and re-inserting the CD-Rom
tray, no messages are displayed at all.

Later, I start the dbus daemon from the init script, and start the hald
daemon manually, I instantly get these startup errors:

coldfire root # /usr/sbin/hald --daemon=no
libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device
with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_1_1
libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device
with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0
libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device
with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0
libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device
with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0
libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device
with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0
libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device
with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_0_0
libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device
with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_2_0
libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device
with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_2_0
libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device
with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/ide_2_0
libhal.c 911 : Error sending msg: No property info.category on device
with id /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer

I have a feeling these have something to do with the messagebus that
dbus is /supposed/ to set up, but I'm not entirely sure how that
messagebus is specified in dbus, and the dbus docs (on freedesktop.org)
seem to be down.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and further debug information will
graciously be given if asked for.

Thanks guys,
Josh