Progress, and another idea

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Nov 23 08:03:56 PST 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 10:53 -0500, David Zeuthen wrote:
> The code for polling for e.g. Epson printers, XYZ printers or whatever
> shouldn't be a part of the hal codebase proper as it's pretty specific
> to certain hardware. However there are ways to start other daemons from
> the hal daemon (e.g. callouts when the hal daemon is starting up).

Another thing I forgot to mention is that such polling might interfere
(I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised) with printing documents
(which might be printer specific) - they way to solve this is to use the
locking mechanism we got in hal - e.g. the Epson ink poll daemon polls,
say, every minute but when eggcups (or whatever) wants to print it has
the lock which ensures that the ink poll daemon doesn't interfere.

Other existing more low-level locking primitives (e.g. locking on the
device file level) could also be used.

Cheers,
David