Thoughts about libhal-storage

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Fri Oct 8 09:44:25 PDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 11:44:44AM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 20:14 +0200, Jérôme Lodewyck wrote:
>
> > 2/ about icons : in kde, we don't really deal with icons, but with
> > mimetypes.  When attributing a mimetype to a device, it is automatically
> > associated to the icon defined in the mimetype .desktop file. Would it make
> > sense to define a mimetype policy, instead of an icon policy ?
> >

> I guess we can do both? Are the mime-types you use in KDE standardized?
>
> > 3/ always about mimetypes/icons : in kde, they all have two versions : one
> > with _mounted suffix, one with _unmounted ("mounted" icons boast a gracefull
> > green triangle indicating that the device is mounted). What about it ?
> >

> This should be possible today - the way it works for GNOME and Nautilus
> is that the Drive icon is used when not mounted and the Volume icon is
> used when mounted.
>
> We can also add a set of extra icons identifiers (e.g.for
> HAL_STORAGE_ICON_VOLUME_COMPACT_FLASH we would also have
> HAL_STORAGE_ICON_VOLUME_COMPACT_FLASH_MOUNTED) though I'm not sure this
> is a good idea - primarily because "being mounted or not" is not
> something that is an attribute of the media or drive - it's an attribute
> of how it's used - on the same note we shouldn't have icons for a disc
> with a DVD movie because the fact it's a DVD movie is the contents of
> the media, not an inherent property of the media. In GNOME the way this
> is envisioned to work is by using emblems on top of icons, does KDE have
> a similar scheme?

Just wondering. But is it really a good idea to push this into libhal-storage ?

Why not let the desktop(s) do the mapping in one of their own libraries ?
Probably gnome-vfs for gnome and i-have-no-idea-what for KDE :)

  Sjoerd
--
Well, you know, no matter where you go, there you are.
		-- Buckaroo Banzai