[patch] split up hal_initialize

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Oct 8 13:57:28 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 21:12 +0200, Henning Günther wrote:
> Hi everybody,

Hi,

Sorry for the lag - I've recently moved (along with my mail server) so
I've been busy with that for the past few weeks. Sorry.

> since I got no reaction to my first post(where I proposed a change in
> libhal) and I couldn't wait for this to become standart in HAL, I wrote
> a patch myself.
> The patch splits up hal_initialize in hal_new(which creates a
> LibHalContext) and hal_connect(which connects a context to the hal
> daemon). To have backward compatibility I rewrote hal_initialize. It
> just calls hal_new and hal_connect now.
> Let me explain why I think this is better: It gives the programmer the
> ability to set user data to the context before the
> "IntegrateDBusIntoMainLoop" method is called.
>
> I hope you like it.

Well, I think this is something to consider when hal 0.5.x opens - I
want to release a stable hal 0.4.x series in a few weeks as I think
we're the bugfixing + only-add-necessary-feature phase is over soon.

Hope this helps,
David