Thoughts about libhal-storage

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Tue Oct 12 04:06:55 PDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 12:51:40PM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 18:44 +0200, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> > > We can also add a set of extra icons identifiers (e.g.for
> > > HAL_STORAGE_ICON_VOLUME_COMPACT_FLASH we would also have
> > > HAL_STORAGE_ICON_VOLUME_COMPACT_FLASH_MOUNTED) though I'm not sure this
> > > is a good idea - primarily because "being mounted or not" is not
> > > something that is an attribute of the media or drive - it's an attribute
> > > of how it's used - on the same note we shouldn't have icons for a disc
> > > with a DVD movie because the fact it's a DVD movie is the contents of
> > > the media, not an inherent property of the media. In GNOME the way this
> > > is envisioned to work is by using emblems on top of icons, does KDE have
> > > a similar scheme?
> >
> > Just wondering. But is it really a good idea to push this into libhal-storage ?
> >
> > Why not let the desktop(s) do the mapping in one of their own libraries ?
> > Probably gnome-vfs for gnome and i-have-no-idea-what for KDE :)
> >

> Well, the thinking is that the policy for selecting icons and names (the
> text underneath icons) would be shared then. I'm not 100% positive it's
> a good idea, might be a bit tied to assuming that all desktops have
> functionality to put emblems on top of icons, we'll see...

I just looked at the code somewhat, the stuff for the names looks nice.

 From looking at the icon policy stuff, it looks like the application needs to
fill the policy database itself ? So there is no real sharing of icons, it's
just a mapping of types to strings ?  Thus if you want to really use the same
icons throughout the desktop all applications need to fill it in the same way ?

  Sjoerd, who thinks to much about silly details :)
--
There is no comfort without pain; thus we define salvation through suffering.
		-- Cato