Suppressing mounts at hal restart

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Tue Oct 12 04:23:40 PDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 01:08:10PM +0200, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Hi again!
>
> Martin Pitt [2004-10-12 12:24 +0200]:
> > Hi again!
> >
> > Martin Pitt [2004-10-12 11:09 +0200]:
> > > Whenever hal is (re)started, it sends out new device messages which
> > > causes new windows for the mounted hard disk partitions (like /,
> > > /home, /usr and so on). This is somewhat nasty. It seems that hal
> > > should not send out these messages for devices which are already
> > > mounted. Is there already a patch which does that?
> >
> > I debugged this a little further. It is actually a bug in
> > gnome-volume-manager, not hal.
>
> Sorry, it is kind of a bug in hal. hald sends out "property changed"
> messages for volume.is_mounted at startup, which makes g-v-m think
> that it should display a window for the device.
>
> Sending these messages is pointless at hal startup. Each program was
> required to remember the previous state and compare it to the new
> state and do nothing if they are equal.
>
> Can these messages be suppressed ad hal startup?

You really don't want to suppress them at hal startup. Because you can have
race conditions then..

If i write a nice app which lists all mounted volumes and ofcourse doesn't do
polling but just listens to hal for the info. Now suppose hal is stopped, a
volume is mounted, hal is started again. If hal doesn't send out the mount
signal the app will never know that the volume is mounted.

  Sjoerd
--
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife - chopping off what's
incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."