[Patch] Extended PCMCIA Support

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Sun Oct 24 16:07:32 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 23:59 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> In the absence of kernel support for PCMCIA in sysfs, this patch will
> allow PCMCIA network cards to be used just as well as CardBus cards.
>
> 1) Coldplug support, PCMCIA cards recognized on startup
> 2) Sets info.vendor and info.product to something useful
> 3) Re-parents devices under their correct PCMCIA slots
> 4) Also makes hotplugging PCMCIA cards work better, gives
>      them pretty names and all
> 5) Only enabled when --enable-pcmcia-support is passed to
>      configure
> 6) Very compartmentalized, minimal changes to actual HAL code
>
> It only supports network devices now (since those devices show up in sysfs
> under /sys/class/net/*).  Serial devices would also work with a bit of
> extra code (grab the device node #s from the pcmcia stab file and match
> those to the /sys/class/net/ttySx/dev file).  Other devices would probably
> require more code.
>
> --------- Patch comments
> The patch includes bits of pcmcia_cs code, including a lot of nasty header
> code that's twice as many lines as actual operative code.  But hey,
> whatever.  pcmcia_cs code is either MPL or GPLv2, and since HAL is GPLv2,
> there is no problem appropriating the code into HAL as long as David Hinds
> is given credit (which he is).

Hi Dan,
what is the reason to include the CIS parsing into HAL? Wouldn't it be
easier to ask cardctl to give us these values? We may also plug into
the /etc/pcmcia/ directory (like the hal helpers living in
/etc/hotplug.d/ and /etc/dev.d/)and send events from there to the hal
daemon?

Would that work? What do you think?

Thanks,
Kay