[Patch] Extended PCMCIA Support

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Sun Oct 24 17:56:46 PDT 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Kay Sievers wrote:
> If you plug/remove in a card into the slot, cardmgr calls the scripts
> in /etc/pcmcia. If I plug in an old modem, I get this in the
> environment:
>
>   $1=start
>   $2=ttyS1
>   MANFID=0107,0002
>   PRODID_1=USRobotics
>   PRODID_2='336 Data Fax Modem'
>   PRODID_3='33600 Data/14400 Fax'
>   PRODID_4=0.1

Ok, fair enough, that could be done.  However, this does nothing for
coldplug, does it?  How would we notice the card when its inserted before
HAL is running?

Coldplugging support is about 75% what this patch was supposed to
fix.  And since for coldplugging, we'd still need to parse
/var/lib/pcmcia/stab or ioctl() the sockets anyway, we might as well use
the same code for hotplugging and keep it simple (rather than have two
separate paths for coldplug and hotplug, which is more obtuse).  I realize
that for coldplugging, we could popen() to cardctl, but I seriously
dislike opening pipes and parsing the output of the process on the other
side (for an overview of the issues with stuff like this, I'd point you to
http://log.ometer.com/2004-10.html#23).

> > David and I are actively working to get the PCMCIA+sysfs patch into the
> > kernel ASAP, this is simply stop-gap measure until that occurs.  When that
> > happens, this patch will come out and we'll just use sysfs as normal for
> > PCMCIA devices.
>
> Yeah kernel support would be nice.

Darn right :)

Dan