Problem with camera

Dan Korostelev dan at ats.energo.ru
Sat Oct 30 14:16:46 PDT 2004

I have an Olympus C-350 Zoom camera. It has only an UMS interface and no
PTP interface. But because of the same usb ids, it's detected as other
Olympus camera that has PTP interface. So HAL appends a "camera" to
info.capabilities and info.category and sets other camera attributes.
Then gnome-volume-manager finds the device with "camera" capability and
tries to launch a libgphoto2 based program that fails on detecting PTP
camera (really the check is done by wrapper script that check if the
device has a volume.mount_point attribute, and camera's root device
doesn't have that attribute, so it launches libgphoto2-based program).
Then it (g-v-m) finds the camera's UMS volume and launches the photo
management program for mounted volume. So it launches photo management
program twice. As I found out (with Sjoerd's help), that the only
"clean" way is to remove "camera" capability from my device. I wrote an
FDI that merges the info.capability = "storage" attribute (attached). I
addded that FDI file to /usr/share/hal/fdi/20freedesktop/. But when I
plug my camera, HAL still adds "camera" capability. As I understood this
is done after FDI files scanning. Then I have a question - how to
disable that capability adding. Or it is a bug and FDI files should be
scanned after all. Or I just didn't understand something. Thanks.

--
Dan Korostelev <dan at ats.energo.ru>