writing some kind of driver for hal

Dan Korostelev dan at ats.energo.ru
Sun Oct 31 14:26:36 PST 2004

Hello.

I have a portable audio player iRiver iFP-790. It has a
non-UMS firmware (it also has a UMS-version of firmware,
but it's currently buggy and it's slower than non-UMS).

There's a driver for linux that implements a mountable
filesystem for that player [1]. It doesn't create any
devices, it just works when mounting "none" to some
mountpoint with "iriver" filesystem type.

HAL is not aware of that, so it just shows the "USB interface"
for the device. The question is how register a mountable volume
for this device? As I understood, HAL can run a program for
specified device that will register a new volume device, but how
to write that program is a question for me, is there any docs
for that?

Thanks!

[1] http://ifp-driver.sourceforge.net/

--