initial support for video devices and printer ports

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Wed Sep 1 03:25:55 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 02:24 +0200, Kristof Vansant wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 00:59, Kay Sievers wrote:
> > Shouldn't a printer be a subdevice of the "printer_port" and not merged
> > into it?
> >
> It is possible to have a parallel scanner and printer on one parallel
> port if I'm not mistaking.
> So printer should be a subdevice of the printer_port! and the scanner
> too.

Yes, there a multi-function devices with a scanner and a printer in the
same box too. Don't know how the actual device is to be selected on the
parport, but they are connected at the same time to the same port.

Today we see such kind of devices all connected through USB, but I still
think the recognized printer should be a child of the parport and not
merged into the interface.

Kay