autoconf & hal - install under home problem

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Sep 1 13:39:28 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 18:52 +0100, Rui Lopes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I try to issue `make install' the generated makefiles try to create
> stuff in /hal, a make target from hald/Makefile.am has this:
>
> install-data-local :
>         $(mkinstalldirs) $(DESTDIR)$(SYSCONFDIR)/hal/device.d
>         $(mkinstalldirs) $(DESTDIR)$(SYSCONFDIR)/hal/capability.d
>         $(mkinstalldirs) $(DESTDIR)$(SYSCONFDIR)/hal/property.d
>         $(mkinstalldirs) $(DESTDIR)$(LOCALSTATEDIR)/lib/hal
>
> The uppercase variables are never assigned, maybe the intention was to
> write @SYSCONFDIR@?  even so, why not use $(sysconfdir)?  or, do I need
> to set those variables before using make (doesn't seem right to me)?
>
> I'm using autoconf 2.59 and automake 1.5.

Are you using the 'hal-cvs' Gentoo e-build or is this from CVS? I'm
asking because a similar issue came up last week; search the archives
for 'Is fstab-sync in newest cvs broken?'.

FWIW, this works fine with automake 1.9.1 and autoconf 2.59 (Fedora
Development); make checks passes and stuff gets installed into the right
places.

Cheers,
David