Olympus C-350Z

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Sep 7 14:24:40 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 16:32 -0400, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 00:00 +0400, Dan Korostelev wrote:
> > Do you need more FDI files. Here's one for Olympus C350-Z camera.
>
> Why not generating FDI files for digicams out of the XML available here:
> 	http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/linux/digicam.xml

Hi,

Actually, as a short-term solution I wrote a small hal callout, hal-
hotplug-map, that reads /etc/hotplug/usb/usb.usermap and checks against
the usbcam fields. This has the virtue to only tag the device as a
camera if and only if the installed gphoto2 binary supports it (we do
the same for sane-supported scanners, btw).

Also, the fstab-sync callout could use your table to tag USB Mass
Storage based cameras as being cameras rather than a harddisk; e.g. the
desktop file manager would display a camera icon.

Long term, I hope just to invoke gphoto2 in a callout to ask whether the
product with this or that (vendor_id, product_id, revision) is a camera;
that would be nice.

I feel that we need to keep the number of .fdi files down; however,
sooner or later we probably need to put them in a database for
performance issues :-)

Cheers,
David