hal, usbstick and IBM R40

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sun Sep 12 14:29:17 PDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-09-12 at 22:49 +0200, Thomas Gufler wrote:
> Yes, I can still reproduce. Attached lshal and hald.conf

Thanks for the files - just what the information I needed.

Interesting. So, I've been told that IBM Memory Sticks are of high
quality - this seems to confirm it:

udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/block_8_0'
   info.udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/block_8_0'  (string)
   storage.hotpluggable = true  (bool)
   storage.removable = false  (bool)
   info.product = 'Memory Key'  (string)
   info.vendor = 'IBM'  (string)

so obviously the device properly report that this device doesn't support
removable media - which is quite true! (it's important to distinguish
between hotpluggable and removable). Can you confirm that the
file /sys/block/sda/removable contains '0'? FWIW, lots of USB devices
doesn't report correct information about 'removable' nor do they support
unique serial number.

So, I recently changed hal not to poll devices with storage.removable
set to FALSE (which is useful if you want to run hal on a system with
thousands of disks :-) but it appears we should at least attempt to do
an initial poll to kickstart the kernel. So I just did this; please try
the latest from CVS and see if that works.

Thanks,
David